NEPA Metropolitan Planning Organization
TITLE VI – Civil Rights and Environmental Justice
NEPA, as the PennDOT designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Carbon, Monroe, Pike and Schuylkill counties, is contracted with PennDOT through annual work plan to coordinate transportation planning initiatives in the MPO region. During the development of the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), NEPA must work to ensure that projects included in the TIP, especially those requiring major construction work, do not have disproportionately high or adverse impacts on minority or low-income populations. This is required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
What is Title VI?
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a non-discrimination statute. Specifically, Title VI, as amended, provides that:
No person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
What is Environmental Justice?
Environmental Justice (EJ) is a component of Title VI which includes three fundamental principles:
- To avoid, minimize, or mitigate disproportionately high or and adverse human health or environmental effects, including social and economic, on minority populations and low-income populations.
- To ensure the full and fair participation by all potentially affected communities in the transportation decision-making process.
- To prevent the denial of, reduction in, or significant delay in the receipt of benefits by minority and low-income populations.
The Northeastern Pennsylvania Alliance is continuously revising and adapting our public involvement and community outreach initiatives that fully engage all stakeholders in our planning and decision-making process. We make every effort to employ initiatives that:
- educate the public,
- encourage participation by individuals and groups, and,
- respond to the stakeholder input and feedback.
NEPA’s Public Involvement Plan has been developed by the Northeastern Pennsylvania Alliance staff to address the Title VI requirements Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42U.S.C. 2000d) as amended by the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 (P.L. 100-209). To view the current plan please click here.
The NEPA MPO is in the process of updating its Public Involvement Plan, Title VI Non-Discrimination Plan and Limited English Proficiency Plan. More information can be found here.
Alan Baranski – Vice President, Transportation Planning Services Division
Kate McMahon – Transportation Services Manager
Annette Ginocchetti – Transportation GIS Specialist
Daniel Yelito – Transportation Services Manager