Appalachian Regional Commission
Area Development Program & Access Road Program
- Please contact NEPA for a quick conversation about your potential project before beginning your pre-application to ensure the project will be competitive.
- Check this timeline to make sure your organization can meet the required deadlines.
- Review the ARC 2016-2020 Strategic Plan, the PA Area Development Plan 2015-2018, and the PA FY17 Strategy Statement to make sure your project matches the most current goals and strategies at the federal and state levels.
- Currently, all of the counties NEPA serves are designated as transitional, meaning the Area Development grants require a 50% match to leverage 50% grant and Access Road Program typically requires 20% match to leverage 80% grant.
- Any construction project (Area Development) requires a federal cognizant agency, often referred to as a BFA (Basic Federal Agency), as a partner (USDA, Army Corp of Engineers, US DOT FHWA, EDA).
- If funded, Access Road Projects must be coordinated with PennDOT and the NEPA Alliance or Lackawanna-Luzerne Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) to be added to the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP).
- If you are selected for a full application, you must have the match committed. Before beginning a pre-app, please make sure your matching funds can be committed by that time.
- You must have outcomes and outputs that match ARC’s guidelines for reporting to Congress; however, you may also include additional outcomes and outputs that show the full impact of the program or project. Please review ARC’s guidance for performance measures here.
- After these steps, use the pre-application template here to guide the development of your proposal.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Vice President, Business Development Services
email@example.com – 570-655-5581 ext. 241
Vice President, Community Services
firstname.lastname@example.org – 570-655-5581 ext. 237
Community Services Specialist
email@example.com – 570-655-5581 ext. 251